The unacceptable behavior of employees in the workplace often offends employers. The behavior of workers in terms of tempering with business intellectual property and as well as the goldbricking habits pushes employers to perform workplace surveillance: before it may impact negatively on business. So, the employee monitoring practices have become common in the business world. Since, cell phones, gadgets and computer devices connected to cyberspace-related jobs have prevailed worldwide in terms of faster internet speed, and social networking. The behavior of the employees at the workplace has molded towards the fishing activities in terms of data theft, and cyber slacking and goldbricking. However, most of the employers concentrating on limiting internet access along with employees agree to acceptable use policies (AUP).
International Data Crop reported that: Workplace study
- Almost 30-40% of the workers in the business organizations worldwide that have internet access don’t perform work-related activities; workplace research study from (IDC) international Data Corp stated that.
- 21 to 31% of employees sent emails to sell sensitive or secret information of the company as intellectual property. Employees trade company’s secrets and outside of the business network.
- Almost 60% of the purchases for personal reasons are made within the working hours.
- In the United States only, an estimated 40% loss of productivity happens due to the goldbricking habits of employees.
Let’s define the terms we have discussed earlier in terms of business intellectual property, cyber slacking and goldbricking briefly and its impact on the business.
What is Business Intellectual property?
It is the term that is been used for a business intangible asset. It is the thing that does not exist physically, but it has value. You can say the business organizations may consist if designs, program, concepts, inventions, trade secrets, names of brand, formulas and as well as art. (IP) Intellectual property is being protected through copyrights, trademark and plenty of other patent or legal measures. So, at workplace anyone of the dishonest employee tempers with the (IP) secret data stored in cell phones, gadgets, and laptop and desktop computer devices alarming for enterprise business. However, large-scale business organizations usually protect themselves from corporate espionage. The business organizations most of the time deals with the issues of theft of business secrets or intellectual property and most often it happened due to insider threat. Additionally, black hate hackers created corporate chaos that every boss need to know to the fullest and should protect their assets from potential cyber threats.
According to the study conducted by the Peter J. Toren specialized in the protection of intellectual property and partner in the Washington, D.C office of Weisbrod Matteis & Copley. “He said, out of 120 prosecutions related to theft for trade secrets, most of the culprits were insiders that have accessed confidential secrets.” “The defendants were the employees of their companies”.
5 Best Practices to protect company’s Intellectual property
- Pre-written code of conduct employees and vendors should sign and as well as non-disclosure agreement at the time of recruitment, Torrens stated that.
- Data stored within the company’s owned computer laptop and desktop devices should be monitored using computer monitoring software with proper consent.
- Track the employee’s emails and employers should know! How much too much monitoring of employees emails.
- Don’t allow your employees to use the company’s owned cellphones, gadgets and desktop devices for personal reasons.
- However, if any fishy activity has been monitored by the employees, then conduct an immediate full–scale investigation.
What is Goldbricking?
Goldbricking is known as wasting time within the working hours of employees. In the business organization staff usually wastes the time using internet on company’s owned devices. You can say goldbricking is also known as cyber slacking or cyber loafing. Obviously, when executives have provided the employee’s fast internet speed and computer devices then they do things that could result in time wasting. Employees do hidden conversations through Voice and text using social media apps and May employees are talking about behind you. They do browsing activities to visit entertaining websites and use instant messaging apps on the company’s owned gadgets and cell phones. Ultimately, goldbricking turns the business into the loss of productivity.
However, most of the employees may claim that a particular extent of the goldbricking or cyber slacking increases the productivity of the business organization. Because a little time in cyber slacking provides refreshment to the employees rather than to continuous work that becomes the factor of tiredness. Further, Employers have to have taken a few steps within the working hours to reduce the goldbricking activities among employees to prevent the lack of productivity. The term Goldbricking has generated from a saying of the late 19th century, “selling anyone a gold brick, it means to swindle them. Letter on with the passage of time the term has gone viral to the general population. Moreover, Goldbricking becomes more famous since 2013 when Yahoo CEO Marissa Mayer banned the telecommuting. The remote employees of the company were not used to login into corporate work on a regular basis.
5 practices to eradicate Goldbricking, Cyber slacking & Cyber loafing
- Employers should block websites on the employee’s company’s owned computer devices.
- Employers can monitor instant messaging apps and websites of the employees within the working hours.
- Employers can record the hidden conversations of employees on cell phones and PCs.
- Employers can monitor screen of the company’s owned computer laptop and desktop device.
- Employers should know how much is too much of employee monitoring.
Protect the company’s intellectual property & to monitor goldbricking
You can protect your business and as well as the data stored in the cellphones and computer devices. Bosses can use various methods of monitoring and can save the intellectual property of the business and as well as keep an eye on their employee’s cyber slacking activities by gathering information about employee’s activities. Business entities can perform employee monitoring within the working hours. Because the rising trends of employees spying at the workplace are worldwide and legal these days if they have got the written consent of the employees. Apart from the protection of the company’s owned confidential data you can improve the productivity of and can save corporate resources.
The main reason behind the monitoring of workforce is to prevent unacceptable behavior is at first place and to curtail such behavior that can destroy the business. The methods of monitoring to protect (IP) & to track cyber loafing may include the number of methods. You can use keystrokes logging method to spy on all the keystrokes applied by your employees on cell phones, tablets, and pads and on desktop computers.
Moreover, you can use the method of live GPS tracking and internet monitoring to get to know the exact location of your employees and their browsing activities on the company’s equipment. However, employers are having these days the methods and software that makes you monitor web surfing, instant messengers and email monitoring.
What to consider before deploying Employee Monitoring Techniques?