The unacceptable behavior of employees in the workplace often offends employers. The behavior of workers in terms of tempering with business intellectual property and as well as the goldbricking habits pushes employers to perform workplace surveillance: before it may impact negatively on business. So, the employee monitoring practices have become common in the business world. Since, cell phones, gadgets and computer devices connected to cyberspace-related jobs have prevailed worldwide in terms of faster internet speed, and social networking. The behavior of the employees at the workplace has molded towards the fishing activities in terms of data theft, and cyber slacking and goldbricking. However, most of the employers concentrating on limiting internet access along with employees agree to acceptable use policies (AUP).
International Data Crop reported that: Workplace study
- Almost 30-40% of the workers in the business organizations worldwide that have internet access don’t perform work-related activities; workplace research study from (IDC) international Data Corp stated that.
- 21 to 31% of employees sent emails to sell sensitive or secret information of the company as intellectual property. Employees trade company’s secrets and outside of the business network.
- Almost 60% of the purchases for personal reasons are made within the working hours.
- In the United States only, an estimated 40% loss of productivity happens due to the goldbricking habits of employees.
Let’s define the terms we have discussed earlier in terms of business intellectual property, cyber slacking and goldbricking briefly and its impact on the business.
What is Business Intellectual property?
It is the term that is been used for a business intangible asset. It is the thing that does not exist physically, but it has value. You can say the business organizations may consist if designs, program, concepts, inventions, trade secrets, names of brand, formulas and as well as art. (IP) Intellectual property is being protected through copyrights, trademark and plenty of other patent or legal measures. So, at workplace anyone of the dishonest employee tempers with the (IP) secret data stored in cell phones, gadgets, and laptop and desktop computer devices alarming for enterprise business. However, large-scale business organizations usually protect themselves from corporate espionage. The business organizations most of the time deals with the issues of theft of business secrets or intellectual property and most often it happened due to insider threat. Additionally, black hate hackers created corporate chaos that every boss need to know to the fullest and should protect their assets from potential cyber threats.
According to the study conducted by the Peter J. Toren specialized in the protection of intellectual property and partner in the Washington, D.C office of Weisbrod Matteis & Copley. “He said, out of 120 prosecutions related to theft for trade secrets, most of the culprits were insiders that have accessed confidential secrets.” “The defendants were the employees of their companies”.
5 Best Practices to protect company’s Intellectual property
- Pre-written code of conduct employees and vendors should sign and as well as non-disclosure agreement at the time of recruitment, Torrens stated that.
- Data stored within the company’s owned computer laptop and desktop devices should be monitored using computer monitoring software with proper consent.
- Track the employee’s emails and employers should know! How much too much monitoring of employees emails.
- Don’t allow your employees to use the company’s owned cellphones, gadgets and desktop devices for personal reasons.
- However, if any fishy activity has been monitored by the employees, then conduct an immediate full–scale investigation.