Our research has developed a general assumption that every social media app or website, regardless of nature, usage, acceptability, and popularity, poses severe constraints and threats to the users. Good and evil go together on Facebook and WhatsApp. These two social media apps have become so popular that millions use them daily for communication and information sharing. This write-up aims at the parents who should be aware of the dangers of Facebook and WhatsApp along with the preventive measures to minimize the negative off-shoots.
Before we discuss the dangers of both, let the parents know what Facebook and WhatsApp are. Facebook is a free social media website that accommodates millions of users with original or fake accounts. The site offers entertainment and recreation to all the people. The forum has no strict policies regarding registration and account creation. The open access granted by the Facebook team accumulates grave dangers associated with every activity and eventuality user do on the site. Likewise, WhatsApp is a free message service that operates when the smartphone is connected to the internet. The statistics regarding the use and number of users on WhatsApp inform that this is the matchless and unbeatable SMS service in today’s social media world. A user can communicate via SMS, and sharing pictures, audio files, videos, links, and group creation is also facilitated.
A brief introduction to the two social media apps would let the parents understand these. Most parents nowadays use themselves as well, but the non-tech savvy parents would benefit from these to gain know-how of their kid’s use of Facebook and WhatsApp. Though both platforms are for improved communication and better connectivity, the policies of either are favorable for many irrelevant factors. The irrelevant factors include unwanted users, cyber bullies, sextortionists, extremist groups, and other social media culprits. Here we have collected the common dangers teens come across while using them.
Possible Threats and Dangers:-
As we have already mentioned, anyone can access these forums for communication, and non-strict policy regarding use becomes very favorable for teens to join and start using. Facebook allows people aged 13 and above, while WhatsApp requires 16 years old. This flexibility offers immense space for teens to use sites only for adults and young people. The content shared here is not controlled; anyone can share any material. Porn stuff, sexual material, and abusive content are ubiquitous on Facebook and WhatsApp. Moreover, no safety measures regarding the profile and setting of the account on users’ end invite cyber bullies to join them with anonymous reports and exploit their rights.
The kids using these forums don’t know precisely who is behind a particular account unless or until they talk to them on live video, but here they may seat anyone else as well. The point is the teens are not aware of who they are talking to, and anyone can send them a request or pick up a contact number and get in contact on WhatsApp. This public use of Facebook and WhatsApp offers bullies to become friends with teens, talk to them, use them, kill their time, get personal information, and ultimately kidnap or pick them up for any lawful activity.
Again rules-free social media becomes a hub of information without their definitions. A teen who should have joined functional groups for educational and literary purposes becomes addicted to porn material and talks to people who have been doing this for many years. Your son, daughter, or kid may share personal photos and allow cyber bullies to attack and encounter them. The personal message option, INBOX, on Facebook, is typically designed to talk privately. What happens here is unknown to anyone but the two; who communicated. Dig out and find what wonders the kids have been through.
Tagging and Poking, Calls for Bullies:
Facebook has a feature that lets users tag people on their lists. Once a friend gets tagged, that post or material shared becomes accessible to thousands and spreads rapidly. This is one of the profound moments that kids often commit. They are not conversant that their tagging is a direct call for cyber bullies and predators. Tagging lets anyone check out and visit the file of the person who tagged others, while Poking is used to get the attention of users whom people want to talk or communicate with. It should be avoided.
Statistics on Facebook Use:-:
Here we are presenting current stats that inform how many people use them daily and what number of information is shared daily. The stats are for the parents to understand that their kids are among millions of users and a direct target for anyone.
As follow the Facebook user’s statics report
- Facebook currently has 2.895 billion active users.
- 93 billion people use Facebook monthly.
- Facebook’s daily active users stand at 1.908 billion.
- Facebook users spend an average of 19.7 hours a month.
- Over 1 billion stories are posted every day via the Facebook app.
The average number of Facebook posts is 1.68 times a day, including photos 28.8%, videos 17.1%, and status posts 1.8%.
Statistics on WhatsApp Use:-:
- WhatsApp currently has more than 2000 billion active users.
- Over 2.24 billion people use WhatsApp monthly.
- Around 100 billion messages and voice calls are exchanged via WhatsApp.
- Almost people spend 19 hours on WhatsApp within a month.
- WhatsApp is used in 180+ countries around the world.
Feasible Solutions Parents Can Implement:-
The above-given data reveals the whole story. We will recommend the best solutions and preventive measures parents can execute to enhance their teens’ safety and prevent them from getting into the wrong hands.
- Parents should only allow their kids to use smartphones and social media apps once they deem appropriate. The age factor should always be considered when letting kids enter Facebook and WhatsApp.
- Parents can add their kids to their friend’s lists to check what their kids do.
- And what type of people they communicate with.
- Educate kids on tagging and post-sharing details. They should be taught not to tag anyone and share their posts publicly.
- The parents must tell kids to enhance their safety by restricting irrelevant people. The SETTING option on Facebook lets a user build protective walls and decide who can check their profiles.
- If an anonymous user irritates the kids, the kids must be told to use the BLOCK option freely.
- Personal information like contact numbers, emails, personal addresses, and family information must be restricted only to known friends and those who can be trusted.
- WhatsApp communication happens through contact numbers, so it must be kept safe from the access of cyber bullies.
- Kids should be informed not to respond to any unknown email or message.
- However, parents can use TheOneSpy (TOS) kids spying and monitoring app to access a user’s social media details. Through the TOS app, parents can ensure better safety and robust control over the use of Facebook and WhatsApp.
TheOneSpy has powerful features to control on kids WhatsApp and Facebook activities. Take a look!
TheOneSpy allows you to read, send or receive messages on Facebook and WhatsApp. As well as this feature informs you who send text and whom your kid sends them. Facebook chat spy and WhatsApp messenger chat spy features allow you to identify unusual chat activity of your kid and take the necessary action.
Listen To FB & WhatsApp Call Conversations.
If your child secretly calls via social media apps. So don’t worry. TheOneSpy clears your problem with this powerful feature to remotely monitor incoming and outgoing calls and listen to their conversation, including the detail of call duration with a timestamp.
View their Shared Media Files.
You can keep a watchful eye on your kids’ shared files. With this, you can see what your child share via Facebook or WhatsApp and what kind of images, videos, and documents they receive and store on their device.
Remote App Blocker
With the app blocker feature, you can control the installed apps that your kids have used. It allows you to block inappropriate apps without touching their device and ensure their online safety.
Check Contact List
TheOneSpy allows you to check out the contact list of your kid’s social media accounts. It lets you know who’s in your kids’ contact and to whom they talk. Further, you can remotely delete any suspicious contact from their device.
This incredible feature permits you to see everything that happened on your child’s device. With a live screen recording feature, you can see what your child is doing on Facebook and WhatsApp. Facebook screen recorder and WhatsApp screen recording let you easily record target device screen remotely and later the user can view the recorded file from the web control panel.
This article reveals basic information about Facebook, WhatsApp, its dangers, and the best solution. So, you can ensure your kids’ online safety by installing TheOneSpy app. It gives a cold wind to all worried parents with a legal parental control app that never violates anyone’s privacy.